Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

2nd and 3rd Conditional Sentences

2nd Conditional

Form: The if-clause is put in the simple past, the main clause has got a ‘would’ + infinitive.
Use: We use this type of sentence pattern when we express suppositions. These suppositions can be :
1.        statements of unreal situations
”If I were 18 again I would go on a round the world tour.” (I’m not 18, in fact I’m 25)
2.   about things that we don’t expect to happen
”If I won some money I would go on a round the world tour next year.” (But I don’t really expect to win money)


The structure of a second conditional sentence
Like a first conditional, a second conditional sentence consists of two clauses, an “if” clause and a main clause:

IF clause
main clause
If I had a million dollars,
I would buy a big house.

If the “if” clause comes first, a comma is usually used. If the “if” clause comes second, there is no need for a comma:
IF clause
main clause
I would buy a big house
if I had a million dollars.

We use different verb forms in each part of a second conditional:
IF clause
if + subject + simple past verb*
main clause
subject + would + verb

*Note that this "simple past" form is slightly different from usual in the case of the verb BE. Whatever the subject, the verb form is "were", not "was": If I were rich, I'd buy a big house.

Using the second conditional
The second conditional is used to talk about things which are unreal (not true or not possible) in the present or the future -- things which don't or won't happen:


Example
Explanation
If I were you, I would drive more carefully in the rain.
I am not you — this is unreal.
Paula would be sad if Jan left.
Jan will not leave — that's not going to happen.
If dogs had wings, they would be able to fly.
Dogs don't have wings — that's impossible.

3rd Conditional

The 3rd conditional sentence structure is also called the past unreal conditional orpast hypothetical conditional. It is used to imagine a different past than the one that happened.
If I hadn’t eaten so much, I wouldn’t be so fat.

The if clause is unreal. It did not happen. The result is what would have happened IF theif clause were real:
If I hadn’t eaten so much,
Did I eat a lot? Yes, I did. However, I’m imagining what would have happened if I hadn’t eaten so much.

What would have happened if I hadn’t eaten so much? The result:
…I wouldn’t be so fat.
Am I fat now? Yes. I would not be fat now if hadn’t eaten so much in the past. If I ate well in the past, I would not be fat now.
[*I'm not fat in real life! I am just using this as an example sentence!]

The 3rd conditional form:

If + past perfect, would have + past participle

Uses of the Conditional

1.          First conditional
a.    Nature: Open condition, what is said in the condition is possible.
b.    Time: This condition refers either to present or to future time.
e.g. If he is late, we will have to go without him.
If my mother knows about this, we are in serious trouble.
2.         Second conditional
a.    Nature: unreal (impossible) or improbable situations.
b.    Time: present; the TENSE is past, but we are talking about the present, now.
e.g. If I knew her name, I would tell you.
If I were you, I would tell my father.
Compare: If I become president, I will change the social security system. (Said by a presidential candidate)
If I became president, I would change the social security system. (Said by a schoolboy: improbable)
If we win this match, we are qualified for the semifinals.
If I won a million pounds, I would stop teaching. (improbable)
3.         Third conditional
a.    Nature: unreal
b.    Time: Past (so we are talking about a situation that was not so in the past.)
e.g. If you had warned me, I would not have told your father about that party.(But you didn't, and I have).

The structure of a third conditional sentence
Like the other conditionals, a third conditional sentence consists of two clauses, an “if” clause and a main clause:
IF clause
main clause
If I had a studied harder,
I would have passed the exam.
Explanation: I failed the exam, because I didn't study hard enough.
If the “if” clause comes first, a comma is usually used. If the “if” clause comes second, there is no need for a comma:
main clause
IF clause
I probably would have passed the exam
if I had studied harder.
We use different verb forms in each part of a third conditional:
IF clause
if + subject + past perfect verb*
main clause
subject + would (OR could, OR might) have + past participle
*The past perfect is formed with the auxiliary verb “had”, and the past participle (or third form) of the verb.
Note also that third conditional forms can be contracted:
Full form
If I had studied harder, I probably would have passed the exam.
Contracted form
If I'd studied harder, I probably would've passed the exam.

Using the third conditional
The third conditional is used to talk about things which did not happen in the past. If your native language does not have a similar construction, you may find this a little strange, but it can be very useful. It is often used to express criticism or regret:
Example
Explanation
If you had driven more carefully, you would not have had an accident.
Criticism: You had an accident because you didn't drive carefully enough.
If we had played a little better, we could have won the game.
Regret: We didn't play well, so we lost the game.
If you had saved your money, you could have bought a computer.
Criticism: You didn't save your money, so now you can't afford a computer.
If it had snowed, we could have gone skiing.
Regret: It didn't snow, so we couldn't go skiing.

NOTES:
*the past perfect tense = had + past participle
*in spoken English, subject + would AND subject + had are u
sually contracted:
I’d, you’d, she’d, he’d, we’d, they’d

*Because you are imagining the past, you can ONLY use if. In this sentence structure, you cannot use when, after, or any other time conjunction

0 comments:

Post a Comment